Here's a little video of Mom telling the class how hard vowels are:
(Click on the arrow to play the video.) - posted by Betsy
Aphasia: Aphasia is a language disorder that results from damage to portions of the brain that are responsible for language. Aphasia usually occurs suddenly, often as the result of a stroke. Aphasia may co-occur with speech disorders such as dysarthria or apraxia of speech.
By going to speak with the students, Mom knew she could help them to understand a very complex and challenging condition. Mary Gospel and Mom were a great team as they illustrated each facet of aphasia.
The speech students were literally hanging on every word as they saw aphasia in action explained by a person who lives with aphasia every day.
Mary Gospel explained to the students that people wrongly assume that a simple picture message board is adequate to help a person with aphasia communicate. Adults with aphasia usually have a lot more to say than a simple picture message board can cover!
1 comment:
Dear Mary,
I am your new PEO sister and I am pleased to meet you! I am inspired by your energy, your loving daughter and desire to give back to the community. Hopefully, we'll meet in person, over coffee, at Summertrace. I am looking forward to your next post.
Love in PEO,
Sue
Post a Comment