I started this blog (http://marygram.blogspot.com/) in 2008 because Mom is still unable to write letters herself or have much of a conversation on the phone due to the effects of the stroke she had in 2006. (We had remained hopeful that she would recover that ability, but since it is apparently not to be, we have come up with "Plan B" - this blog.) Hopefully this is a good alternate way for her to keep in touch. She would love to hear your news via letters and photos and, if any of you are going to be in the Indianapolis area, we'd love to have you visit. I hope you enjoy reading about and seeing pictures of her latest adventures.
May 8, 2005 Mom moved from Texas to Noblesville, IN
July 19, 2006 Mom had a stroke followed by 4 months of intensive rehab.
Nov 25, 2006 Mom moved into Assisted Living at Manor Care at Summer Trace in Carmel, IN
June 26, 2009 Mom broke her good hand.
It's not about me
As a result of this blog, people have commented that I am a "wonderful" daughter. The truth is: I am NOT that great of a daughter! I get frustrated and discouraged that I can't accomplish more - like, for example, helping Mom get/keep her apartment organized. I realize that I need to "let that go!" God is teaching me so many (new) character qualities in this "caregiving" season of my life: acceptance, patience, love, patience, selflessness, patience, tolerance, patience, compassion, patience, understanding...and did I mention patience? Often I feel like I am the one who is the beneficiary in all this. Mom is still teaching - me! She IS amazing. The staff at Summer Trace is SO loving and accepting. They respect Mom for who she is inside, seeing past exterior things. (I LOVE them!) This blog is all about Mom, definitely not about me.
People have also asked about email: I offered Mom a computer for email but she didn't go for it. She has tried computers and email before. She's not real into technology, including using the DVD player on her tv!
People have also asked about having lunch with Mom: A close place like Max & Erma's, just south of Summer Trace, is good. I try to make getting out as simple and easy as possible. She loves to get out though!
People have asked about the best way to visit Mom: The (free) "soda shop" downstairs at Summer Trace, "Raspberry Harry's," is a good place to meet Mom for a visit. If you can reach her on the phone and arrange a date or a quick, impromptu visit there, that works! One of Mom's favorite activities - that she is still able to do by using a card holder - is playing Kings-in-the-Corner. We play cards in the soda shop downstairs every Weds. night. We'd LOVE to have you join us any time you can! If you like to play cards, come on over to Summer Trace on Weds. night.
Carmel Citizen Police Academy
We took this class together. Click picture above to go to web site. Click on the blue "2008 Spring Academy Class" link to view the photos.
No comments:
Post a Comment